The Durham Region Breastfeeding Coalition is a multidisciplinary group working to promote and support breastfeeding in Durham Region.
- To encourage accurate, evidence-based and consistent breastfeeding practices by professionals, institutions and organizations in Durham Region
- To promote positive societal attitudes towards breastfeeding.
- To provide support for people working to make positive changes in breastfeeding practices.
- To enhance and strengthen lobbying, advocacy and policy development.
- To increase breastfeeding initiation and duration rates in Durham Region
- To promote and issue revised breastfeeding-related information when determined by the Breastfeeding Coalition
- To provide a means of sharing information about breastfeeding.
- To work with hospitals and the community towards establishing Baby Friendly Initiative (BFI) designation.
- To initiate and respond to media opportunities to promote breastfeeding.
- To facilitate and enhance education of the public regarding breastfeeding.
- To hold regular meeting of the Breastfeeding Coalition to provide mutual support.
- To monitor governmental, institutional and corporate policy and advocate for policies and action consistent with the WHO code.
- To cooperate with other professionals, institutions and organizations in the community to develop strategies to promote and support breastfeeding.
Regular meetings are scheduled approximately quarterly. Active members commit to regular meeting attendance and participation in Coalition events. Other interested Community partners may elect to receive minutes but their information is not listed below. Any interested person is welcome to attend meetings, only active members having voting status..
- Jandy Morrow (Heart & Hands Birth Services), Chairperson
- Carol Hobson (IBCLC, Durham Health Department), Co-Chairperson
- Louise Koopmans (La Leche League), Treasurer
- Karen Campbell (La Leche League), Stefanie Antunes (Discover Birth Lamaze), signing officers
Durham Region Health Department
La Leche League Canada http://www.lllc.ca
- Ajax/Pickering Group
- Oshawa/Whitby/Bowmanville Group
- Suzanne Mackinnon, IBCLC
- Eileen Park, M.Sc, ND, IBCLC
- Donna Schinkel, LC
Rouge Valley Health System
Hearts & Hands Birth Services
Discover Birth Lamaze